GAIN THE SKILLS YOU NEED TO SUCCEED IN A COLLABORATIVE PROFESSIONAL ENVIRONMENT WITH THE MATTEO RICCI GLOBAL SCHOLAR PROGRAM
What is it:
An interdisciplinary, experiential and evidence-based educational badge that appears on your official transcript. This challenging academic program cultivates global perspectives and demonstrates your intercultural competencies.
Who it's for:
Students who aspire to be global citizens and want to demonstrate key global workforce skills to future employers. For the pilot years, this scholarship is open to students in the College of Arts & Sciences.
More about Matteo Ricci:
Matteo Ricci, S.J. embodied the values of a global scholar through his service as an Italian Jesuit missionary to China from 1582-1610. By learning the local language and culture, he built significant, mutually beneficial relationships. This cultural integration enabled him to enter areas of China normally not accessible to foreigners and he became a scholar in the Confucian tradition and advisor to the emperor. By expanding his knowledge of China, Ricci helped to expand China's knowledge of the world. This was exemplified by creating the first Chinese dictionary in a European language. Ricci's ability to bridge Chinese and Western cultures demonstrates the vital intercultural competencies necessary to work across differences. Today he serves as a model for cross cultural understanding and his life exemplifies the men and women for others ethos.
- Introduction to the Global Economy ECON 1930 (3 credits)
- International Politics POSC 2601 (3 credits)
- Language proficiency through the 2002 level or equivalent
- Study abroad experience in any location (minimum of 12 credits)
- Experiential learning requirement from a menu of opportunities. This can be fulfilled through documented service-learning, community service, internship or significant leadership participation in a cultural student organization verified by OSD.
- E-portfolio integrating academic and experiential learning. This will serve as a road map for you to track your learning as you move through the program. It is a central location to deposit educational artifacts and track your experiences as you connect with academic theory and skills.
Students pursuing the Matteo Ricci Global Scholar Badge may apply for $1,500 travel grants designed to offset the cost of studying abroad. In order to receive a scholarship, students must demonstrate financial need, commitment to completing the Matteo Ricci Global Scholar Badge, and academic merit. Only one award per Global Scholar.